As you are probably aware, only UKCA Issued ‘Ex’ Certificates will be accepted from the 1st of January 2022 in the UK for products that previously required ATEX Notified Body Certification.
Electrical products for Zone 0 and 1, non-electrical products for Zone 0 and many types of protective systems will require a certificate from a UK Government Appointed UKCA Body.
UKCA Certification will be issued against the list of UK Government Designated Standards and the UK rules and technical decisions. A UKCA QAN (Manufacturing Quality Audit) will also be required from a UKCA Body for Type Approval. In addition, Zone 1 non-electrical will require Files to be lodged with an appointed UKCA Body (at www.exveritas.com you can do this online and get ATEX at the same time)
The marking will also need to be added to cover UKCA, although in many cases the standard protection concepts and ATEX marking will be the same (assuming the latest Standards are used for Marking which is also a requirement for EU ATEX)
UKCA Declaration of Conformity for ‘Ex’
The information required on the Declaration of Conformity will be largely the same as what is currently required on an EU Declaration of Conformity. This can vary depending on the application legislation but generally should include:
- Business address or that of your authorised representative
- The product’s serial number and type identification
- A statement, stating you take full responsibility for the product’s compliance.
- Details of the approved body used (for example, ExVeritas 2585) if applicable.
- The relevant legislation with which the product complies.
- Your name and signature and the date the declaration was issued.
UK Government List of Designated Standards: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/designated-standards-atex
Government Appointed Ex Bodies:
Further guidance and Example of a new ‘UK Type Examination Certificate’: